No person shall establish or permit to be established or maintain or permit to be maintained, any connection whereby a private, auxiliary, or emergency water supply other than the regular public water supply of the city may enter the supply and distributing system of the city unless specifically approved by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the governing body.

(Ord. 90-8, Sec. 1)

Approved devices to protect against backflow or backsiphonage shall be installed at all fixtures and equipment where backflow and/or backsiphonage may occur and where there is a hazard to the public water supply in that polluted water or their contaminating material may enter into the public water supply. Approved backflow preventer valves and systems shall be installed as determined by the superintendent.

(Ord. 90-8, Sec. 2)

The city utility superintendent or other designees of the governing body shall have the right of entry into any building or premises in the city as frequently as necessary in his or her judgment in order to ensure that plumbing has been installed in accordance with the laws of the city so as to prevent the possibility of contamination of the water supply of the city.

(Ord. 90-8, Sec. 3)

Pursuant to the city's constitutional home rule authority and K.S.A. 65-163a, the city by its utility superintendent, may refuse to deliver water through pipes and mains to any premises where a condition exists which might lead to the contamination of the public water supply system and it may continue to refuse the delivery of water to the premises until that condition is remedied. In addition, the city utility superintendent may terminate water service to any property where the cross connection, backsiphonage, or back pressure conditions creates, in the judgment of the superintendent, an emergency danger of contamination to the public water supply.

(Ord. 90-8, Sec. 4)

Any person found to be in violation of this article shall be required to pay a fine in an amount not to exceed $500 per violation.

(Ord. 90-8, Sec. 5)